Monday, January 7, 2013

Apple tartlets



The holiday is really over now, everything is back to its normal routine. My oldest is back to school today, my husband is at work and I am at home with my little boy. There is so much to be done at home, therefore, even it is my day off, I still can't really relax. My whole morning was devoted to house cleaning and doing laundry. I guess I am the type of person who can not stay still, so after all that house chores, instead of relaxing in bed watching my favorite drama, I spent my afternoon baking desserts. 
Apple tartlet is one of the sweet, simple treat that I have bookmarked for quite sometime now, but haven't gotten around to make it until now. When I saw a puff pastry box in the freezer and a few apples left in my fridge, I knew I gotta make this easy and simple, yet delicious sweet for my oldest son. He was so excited when I told him that I will make the apple tartlets for him for dessert. He kept on asking me when it will be done and waited impatiently by the kitchen oven. I absolutely love the aromatic smell of the baked cinnamon and apple tart filled in my kitchen. This delightful sweet takes no time at all and super easy to make. So the next time you are in a supermarket, grab a box of puff pastry, a couple apples and I guarantee you would have a lovely dessert for dinner that night.



The original copy was for Peach tartlets, but I substitute apples for peaches and they are just as lovely!

Ingredients: (Recipes adapted from Art of dessert)

4 apples (I used honey crisp apples)
3 Tbs. dark brown sugar
1 Tbs. lemon juice ( I added a couple tsp of lemon curd instead)
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
a pinch of salt
1 package (2 sheets) frozen puff pastry
2 tbsp of melted butter
Honey or maple syrup for drizzling (optional)
Turbinado sugar



Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line the baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mat.

To prepare the apples:
Slice apples to about 1/4 inch thickness. Coat with brown sugar, lemon juice or lemon curd, ground ginger, ground cinnamon and salt.


To make the tartlets:
Let the puff pastry sheets thaw at almost room temperature (about 20 minutes). Cut each puff pastry sheet into 9 equal squares. Layer the sliced apples in the center of each square.  Brush edges with melted butter then sprinkle with turbinado sugar.

Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Allow to cool then drizzle with honey or maple syrup if desired.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...